Glenmark’s FabiFlu approved for coronavirus treatment in India, costs Rs 103 per tablet
Glenmark’s Fabiflu has been approved for the treatment of coronavirus in India at Rs 103 per tablet. However, medical experts cautioned against viewing it as a “magic pill” to treat the deadly virus but said it would be useful as it could be administered orally and reduce viral load
Mumbai-based Glenmark Pharmaceuticals has launched a new antiviral drug – favipiravir with the brand name Fabiflu – for the treatment of mild to moderate covid-19 patients. The firm has become the first Indian company to commercially launch antiviral drugs. The product was launched in the Indian market today after the Indian Drug Regulator Drug Controller General of India (DCGI) approved the marketing and manufacturing of the company.
A packet of 34 tablets of febiflu is priced at Rs 3,500 (Rs 103 per tablet). The dosage is 200 mg x 9 tablets a day and 200 mg x 4 tablets a day for 14 days of treatment. fabiflu approved However, it should be taken only after prescription. A clinical trial was conducted by Glenmark among 90 mild and 60 moderate Kovid-19 patients across 11 sites in India. The drug claims to have more than 80% efficacy in the treatment of mild to moderate Covid-19 patients.
You must know all about Glenmark’s COVID-19 treatment drug.
1. Glenmark is the first pharma firm in India to receive approval for an oral drug for the treatment of COVID-19 patients.
2. Priced at Rs 3,500 for 34 tablets, the dose is 200 mg x 9 tablets a day and 200 mg x 4 tablets for 14 days.
3. Global trials show the efficacy of over 80–88%; Japan, Bangladesh, and the UAE already use the drug for COVID-19 treatment.
4. The drug will be available through both hospitals and retail channels.
5. Allegedly, Strides Pharma, Brinton Pharmaceuticals, Lesa Supergenerics, and Optimus Pharma are among the companies set for its launch.
6. Glenmark had developed active drug components (APIs) and formulations for fabiflu approved through in-house R&D.
7. Favipiravir is supported by strong clinical evidence, which has shown encouraging results in patients with mild to moderate Covid-19.
8. Patients from more than 10 major government and private hospitals were enrolled for the study.
9. It provides a rapid reduction in viral load within four days and rapid symptomatic and radiological improvement.
10. Favipiravir has shown clinical improvement of up to 88 percent in mild to moderate COVID-19 cases.
11. Favipiravir has been approved in Japan since 2014 for the treatment of novel or re-emerging influenza virus infections.